Painting your ceilings can be a daunting task for even the most experienced of DIYers. Whether you’re sprucing up an old room or simply freshen it up with a new coat of paint, knowing the do’s and don’ts of painting your ceilings will help ensure that you have beautiful results. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the best practices when painting your ceilings for your design and build project in Pelham, AL.
Do’s of Painting Your Ceilings
- Prepare the Room – Before beginning any painting project, make sure to properly prepare the area by removing all furniture and fixtures from walls and floors. Cover any remaining items with drop cloths or plastic sheeting to protect them from paint splatters or drips during application.
- Choose The Right Paint – Choosing quality paints for your home or kitchen remodeling project is essential for achieving a successful ceiling job. Look for paints made specifically for high-traffic areas such as kitchens and bathrooms, as they are more durable than others on the market today. Consider choosing washable paints in these rooms so that cleaning is easier later down the road.
- Choose The Right Brush And Roller – When selecting brushes and rollers, select ones made from nylon/polyester blends. These types are less likely to shed bristles onto wet surfaces during application which could result in an uneven finish once dry. Be sure to purchase roller covers that match your type of surface (smooth versus textured) and your desired sheen level (matte versus glossy).
- Paint In The Right Direction – For best results, use vertical strokes when rolling out ceiling paint, whether on flat surfaces like walls or irregularly shaped ones like crown moldings. This ensures even coverage without leaving unsightly brush marks behind after drying time has passed.
Don’ts of Painting Your Ceilings
- Don’t Use The Wrong Paint – It may be tempting to use oil-based paint instead of water-based due to its superior durability. However, this type can cause staining issues within adjacent surfaces. Additionally, never use exterior grade latex indoors since those products contain volatile compounds, which can impact indoor air quality negatively over time.
- Don’t Use The Wrong Brush And Roller – Avoid using cheap brushes and rollers because those tend not to lose their shape quicker, resulting in poorer overall finishes after drying times has passed. Also, avoid natural fiber brush heads since those often leave behind unwanted bristles on the surface, which are difficult to remove later.
- Don’t Paint In The Wrong Direction – While it may seem tempting to paint across ceilings instead of vertically, this will lead to uneven coverage and an unfinished look; always use vertical strokes for best results.
- Don’t Forget To Clean Up – After a painting project, clean up any leftover paint or supplies you used. This includes disposing of empty containers and cleaning brushes/rollers with warm soapy water before storing them away for future use.
Following these do’s and don’ts when it comes time to paint your ceilings can help ensure that your project goes smoothly with quality results. If you have any questions about painting your ceilings in Pelham, AL, look no further than Reliable Remodeling! We would be happy to assist you with your next home or bathroom remodeling project. Contact us today at (205) 988-9194 to get started!