Has it been storming in your area, and has lightning struck your home recently? You are advised to have your chimney checked immediately. Given the complexity of chimneys, it’s ideal to be inspected by a trained professional.
Why should you call for help? Remember that a lightning strike to your chimney is a serious matter as it can:
- Ignite creosote and eventually cause a fire.
- Shatter pieces of brick and mortar or stonework.
- Warp, buckle or detach a metal chimney or flashing.
- Crack a chimney crown or chimney liner.
To ensure your safety following a lightning strike, you are urged to:
- Contact 911 or your local fire department. Even if you don’t see flames or smell smoke, it could have sparked a fire in the chimney or attic. It is much safer to let firemen investigate to see if the lightning has sparked a fire than to go looking for it yourself. Stay away from the chimney, especially the exterior walls also. Lightning can do serious damage to masonry. If you stand too close, you risk the possibility of being struck by falling stones or bricks.
- Set up a chimney inspection. Keep in mind that damage to the chimney liner may be hidden and hard to diagnose. Hire a chimney expert who can easily assess the health of the structure. You can ask the company to complete any relining or repair work as needed.
Contact our team for your chimney concerns. Reliable Remodeling is committed to always providing comprehensive and dedicated services to our clients with each and every project. We strive to produce quality relationships you can count on in addition to our quality work. Let’s talk about your upcoming home renovation project today. Call us at (205) 880-1911, or fill out our online contact form here.